Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Comatose Version 0.7

This release finally adds support for versioning. It also adds an auto-loader for any comatose customizations you put in a RAILS_ROOT/lib/comatose folder.

See the devblog post for more.

Comatose has been having a few problems co-existing with some kinds of plugins lately. The problems seem to be caused, at least in part, because the comatose controllers extend ApplicationController and therefore requires the application.rb before the rest of the plugins load.

Plus, some plugins seem to take issue with any previous plugins defining an Active Record model before they’re loaded—very picky stuff.

To combat this, I’m thinking of adding a DEFER_LOADING flag in comatose/init.rb. When the plugin initializes, if that flag is true it won’t load the controllers or the models. You’ll then need to add a call to Comatose::Load in your environment.rb that would then load the controllers and models—after the rest of your app had loaded. By default, the flag will be set to false so that it remains backward compatible.

Look for that in the next release.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt,
    First off, thank you so much for releasing Comatose - it seems to be exactly what I need to manage the help pages on rails site I'm building (my first rails project). I ran into two problems pretty early on though, and haven't been able to make much progress. I posted a message on the rubyforge forum a few days ago, but no one has responded, so I'm not sure if it's being actively used (though perhaps I'm just unpopular :). I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice you could give me - even just a point in the right direction.
    1) I've set the default processor to "erb" and the text filter to "none". When I add the line <%= image_tag "image.gif" %> to a Comatose page, Comatose seems to remove it when the page is rendered. However, <%= "test" %> renders fine. Is there something I need to link up specially to access the rails view helpers?
    2) It appears that the "clear page cache" link doesn't clear cached "partials" (where I render the comatose content in a "normal" view). Also, the cache isn't cleared when I update the page in the comatose admin. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a setting to turn this on? I know I could just disable caching, but if possible I'd like to keep it on for when dealing with this fairly static content.
    Hopefully these are things that are obvious to a non-newbie. Thanks again!
    Dan

    ReplyDelete