Saturday, March 26, 2005

Woo Hoo!

rails_logo_remix_small.gifI'm officially a Ruby on Rails contributor! Very cool.

Well, I thought I'd post an update. My changes were approved and merged into Rails' SVN. So, if you are using the latest-greatest code, then you can add a :position symbol to form_remote_tag or link_to_remote with one of the following string values: before, top, bottom, after, replace (default).

For my next idea... I was thinking of making the AJAX.Updater a little smarter by having it check the type of element it's updating. It should be able to set the value of a form field, if it's the update target.

But that leads to some interesting questions. How do we handle different types of input elements? text and textarea are easy -- just set the value. What about checkboxes, radiobuttons, and listboxes? It seems like you would be changing the selectable values for radiobuttons and selectboxes... And I have no idea what would change on a checkbox. You could change the value, but why? You could have it selected or not, but why would you need AJAX for this?

3 comments:

  1. Do you think as the contributor of this feature, that you could add it to the Rails docs in the javascript_helper page? As of now, the description of the :position option doesn't appear anywhere except on your site!
    Nice work with this, it's very cool, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess that might be nice, huh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. patch 933 can now fill in text fields by simply setting the value. I guess it needs more work, but it is already somewhat useful.

    ReplyDelete